So Martin Del Palacio has been putting up some great Youtube videos analyzing the statistics side of these Liguilla games. You can find his videos here!
I wanted to review a quick video he covered in text format for you to read. This is what he gathered. Props and credit to Martin:
Pikolin the best goalkeeper in LigaMX?
Stats during Apertura 2015 for Pikolin Palacios (Pumas goalkeeper):
- Most shots received at 126
- Blocked 83 of those shots. (Best in League of all keepers)
- 20 goals received. (2nd Best in League)
Pumas gave up 1 goal for every 15.5 shots on goal.
Stats during Apertura 2015 for Andre Pierre Gignac (Tigres goalscorer):
- 48 shots on goal. (league leader)
- 1 goal for every 4.36 shots. (Last place amongst top 10 goal scorers)
As a reference lets look at Ismael Sosa’s numbers:
- 22 shots on goal.
- 1 goal for every 2.2 shots.
Offense as a team:
- 1 goal for every 10 shots
- 1 goal for every 5.8 shots
So based on these stats, Pumas takes advantage of their opportunities. Tigres creates and has more opportunities, but has a lower percentage of effectiveness. Additionally Pikolin and the Pumas defense has been solid in keeping the ball out of the net. This was displayed in the 1st leg of the America semifinal game, where America dominated but was not able to score on the Pumas defense, even though they had the majority of possession.
It should be an interesting game tonight.
Much thanks to Martin, who you can find on twitter @martindelp